Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:30:58 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> If you use both $F77 and $FC in your package (which I believe you do),
> the right thing would be to wait for Libtool-2.0 which has proper FC
> support and is due pretty soon (I hope).

Ah ha.

But I believe that the only reason I am using both is that when I just
used FC, libtool ran AC_PROG_F77 on it's own. Perhaps I should retry
this.

I have no great desire to have both F77 and FC defined!

Usually the f77 compiler is just the f90 compiler anyway, sometimes
with extra flags.

Do we think this might work if I only had FC defined? I can try
that...

> Meanwhile, you can try this workaround, in the hope that $F77 and $FC
> have very similar ways of functioning (untested):
>
> LTFCCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --tag=F77 $(AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS) $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) \
>         --mode=compile $(FC) $(AM_FCFLAGS) $(FCFLAGS)
>
> I bet the same thing won't work for linking, though.. :-/

I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes, if I can't get rid
of F77 instead.

> Can you wait a little bit?  We're really working through the final bits
> now.

Hmmmm. Exactly what I would say about netCDF-4.0 beta!!

Actually I can't release until HDF5 (another data package) comes out
with its next version, sometime next year. How long until libtool 2.0
comes out in beta?

Thanks for the help, you've given me a lot to try!

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden