Re: Need for a portable way to specify intermediate targets.

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Need for a portable way to specify intermediate targets.
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:17:07 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:18:46AM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Remove the generation of the .c files from your make files.
> Put that logic in "bootstrap" and remove it from Makefile.am.
> It makes life easier.  If you distribute "bootstrap", any
> "customer" can run the script, if they so choose.  :)

I don't think I'm the only customer who likes to buy the primary
surce.  The fact that there are multiple processor types is not the
main reason why we don't distribute binaries instead of sources.

> Keep It Simple.  Regards, Bruce

That principle could rather be achieved by omitting the *.c file
from the distribution, supposing that every "customer" can install
the tools which are required to generate it.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal