Re: question: less verbose makefile output

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: question: less verbose makefile output
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:57:58 +0100

Hi Dominic,

This is an automake question.  Please remove the autoconf
list from followups.  Thank you.

* Dom wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 09:41:10PM CET:

> I was wondering if it is possible to get quieter
> makefile output during compilation?  I am currently
> using automake 1.9.6 and autoconf 2.59 in debian
> unstable, and my makefiles for a project I am working
> on generate huge amounts of output when I run 'make':

> Is there any quick and dirty way to make the makefile
> output less verbose?

`make -s' is about the quickest way possible.
If you use libtool, `make -s LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent'.

Another very good way is `make >/dev/null'.

Another very convenient way is to trigger the build from
your favorite editor, which likely has the capability to
hilghlight the build warnings/errors for you and point
you to the corresponding source as well -- that way you
won't have to bother about the verbose output.

This question has been discussed before numerous times.
People have demanded kernel-like output several times,
some patches have been presented, but rejected or ignored
for several reasons.  I don't want to state them again,
but it may be useful to add some documentation about the
way to go with Automake.

> P.S. can you CC me any replies?

Sure.