Libtool problem with shared lib in non-standard directory

From: Marcel Loose
Subject: Libtool problem with shared lib in non-standard directory
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 12:31:35 +0100

Hi,

I encountered a problem where libtool does not add a -rpath to all the libs it
adds on the link line. I'll try to describe the problem.

I have two packages that are developed in-house, let's call them A and B.
Package B depends on the (static) library of package A. Package A depends on a
shared third party library that is installed in a non-standard directory (e.g.
/non/standard/lib).

Now the following problem arises. When I build an executable from package B,
libtool adds the libraries that package A depends upon in the link command. One
of these libs is, of course, the third party lib that is installed in
/non/standard/lib. The link command does contain a -L/non/standard/lib
specification, but it does not contain a -Wl,-rpath,/non/standard/lib
specification. As a result, any executable from package B cannot be run unless
the user explicitily adds /non/standard/lib to its LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is
IMHO undesirable.

Is there a way around this problem?

Kind regards,

Marcel Loose.