Specifying dependencies difficulties

From: Angus Leeming
Subject: Specifying dependencies difficulties
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:21:40 +0000

Guys,

I'm having difficulty with the following set of files and compilation requirements.

      qdvi/
          psheaders.txt \
          squeeze.c \
          psgs.cpp \
          psgs.h

1 squeeze.c it to be compiled to create an executable squeeze.exe.
2 squeeze.exe is used to generate psheaders.{cpp,h} from psheaders.txt.
3 psheaders.h is #included by psgs.cpp
4 psheaders.{cpp,h} and psgs.{cpp,h} are compiled and linked into my target executable, qdvi

My stripped down and "working" Makefile.am is below. I say "working" because it works only if psheaders.{cpp,h} comes before psgs.{cpp,h} and only so long as I don't perform a parallel build.

I can see *why* this Makefile.am is rubbish. I don't know how to specify the requirements I've outlined above.

Any clues?
Regards,
Angus

include $(top_srcdir)/config/common.am

EXTRA_DIST = \
        psheader.txt

DISTCLEANFILES += \
        psheader.cpp \
        psheader.h

bin_PROGRAMS = qdvi
noinst_PROGRAMS = squeeze

qdvi_SOURCES = \
        <source files a-o> \
        psheader.cpp \
        psheader.h \
        psgs.cpp \
        psgs.h \
        <source files r-z>

qdvi_LDFLAGS = $(QT_LDFLAGS)
qdvi_LDADD = $(QT_LIBS) $(LIBFREETYPE_LIBS)

squeeze_SOURCES = squeeze.c

psheader.cpp: psheader.txt squeeze$(EXEEXT)
        ./squeeze$(EXEEXT) $(srcdir)/psheader.txt psheader.h psheader.cpp