Re: Specifying dependencies difficulties

From: Angus Leeming
Subject: Re: Specifying dependencies difficulties
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:03:56 +0000

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Try reading the docs about BUILT_SOURCES.

Thanks. I'll do that again. However, I have a related problem that I
couldn't resolve with BUILT_SOURCES, so bear with me:

If I modify my structure to:

     qdvi/
        subdir/
            foo.cpp
        bar.txt

such that
1 subdir/foo.cpp is compiled and linked to generate a file subdir/foo.exe
2 subdir/foo.exe is used to process bar.txt and generate bar.{cpp,h} which
are in turn compiled and linked into my qdvi/qdvi.exe executable,

I find that defining bar.{cpp,h} in qdvi/Makefile.am's BUILT_SOURCES causes
these things to be built when make enters the qdvi directory the first
time. I haven't been able to find a way to say "go first into subdir,
build subdir/foo.exe and then generate bar.{cpp,h} when you return into
directory qdvi.

Is BUILT_SOURCES the right thing here too? If so, can you point me in the
right direction because I'm obviously missing the way.

My reading matter on the subject is:
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/automake/automake_69.html

Also
http://asis.web.cern.ch/asis/products/GNU.DVP/automake-1.0/automake_7.html
Built sources

Occasionally a file which would otherwise be called "source" (eg a C `.h'
file) is actually derived from some other file. Such files should be
listed in the BUILT_SOURCES variable.

Files listed in BUILT_SOURCES are built before any automatic dependency
tracking is done. Built sources are included in a distribution

Can you specify dependencies to BUILT_SOURCES? Clearly I'm misreading the
above.

Angus