Re: Fortran and subdir-objects

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Fortran and subdir-objects
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:33:48 +0100

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 06:45:51PM +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> [...] the macros to test for -c/-o compatibility in automake. [...]

this is an interesting question: is the test for "-c -o" really needed
for a Fortran or F77 compiler?

Currently, _Autoconf_ contains macros to test "-c -o" for C, Fortran,
and Fortran77 languages.  _Automake_ contains a wrapper for the C macro,
but not for the latter two ones.
But the latter two macros have the following comment attached:
# The usefulness of this macro is questionable, as I can't really see
# why anyone would use it.  The only reason I include it is for
# completeness, since a similar test exists for the C compiler.

My impression is that we should remove the artificial macros and write
new ones if/when there is a real need.

So the questions are:
Are there any Fortran* compilers which don't understand "-c -o"?
Are there ones which do understand "-c" yet don't understand "-c -o"?

Which Fortran* compilers should your project support?  Would it be bad
if projects using Automake required GNU Compiler for Fortran?

(Pardon my ignorance, but I don't use Fortran personally.)

Have a nice day,
        Stepan