Re: Installation directory of shared library

From: Florian Schricker
Subject: Re: Installation directory of shared library
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:55:33 +0100

Hi Ralf!

First things first: thanks for the quick reply!

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 16:37 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Florian Schricker wrote on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:32:59PM CET:
> >
> > I am quite new to Autotools, so please bear with me :-)
>
> Here's a good tutorial:
> http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Alexandre.Duret-Lutz/autotools.html

Which I had already found beforehand - but thanks! :-)

> >     How can I install a shared library libfoo.la in $(libdir)/bar ?
> >
> > For static libraries I set
> >
> >     libfoodir = $(libdir)/bar
> >     libfoo_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a
>
> change the last line to
>   libfoo_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
>
> and make sure you call AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in configure.ac.
> You also need to run libtoolize to get some additional files installed,
> and rerun aclocal (`autoreconf -vi' can take care of these for you).

Of course I had gotten that far - almost!
I always had

        libfoodir = $(libdir)/bar
        lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la

which built libfoo.la with no problems but refused to install it to
"libfoodir" - which is obvious now; but I guess I needed somebody to
open up my eyes.
(I might want to add that I usually read "lib_LTLIBRARIES" on the net
[1] [2] so that sadly added up to my confusion... :-/)

Thanks again & regards,
Florian Schricker

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Libraries.html