Re: Portable moc/uic support - works for me

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Portable moc/uic support - works for me
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:30:20 -0500

Hello, Alexandre!

Thank you for quick reply!

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 08:01 +0100, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>  PR> - How portable is $(<:.h=.ui) in the suffix rules?
>
> I think this should work.  Automake uses things like $(@:.info=)
> in some of its rule already.

In the meantime, I have discovered $*, which doesn't look so hairy.

> But why not rename this rule ".ui.uic.cc:" and use "$<"?

My assumption was that quux.h is required when quux.uic.cc is generated.
As it turns out, uic simply uses the header name to create an #include
statement.  This simplifies things, since there is no need to add an
additional dependency, which is tricky with suffix rules.

> Unlike GNU Make, some Make implementations (e.g. Sun's) do not
> know how to chain implicit rules.

OK, that rule becomes

.ui.uic.cc:
        $(QT_UIC) -o $@ -impl $*.h $<

I won't repost Makefile.am now.  For those who find this message looking
to make moc/uic work with Automake, the reference implementation should
be in the qgit sources.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin