Re: Library dependencies & make install

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Library dependencies & make install
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:54:28 +0100

Hi J.T.,

* J.T. Conklin wrote on Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:53:56PM CET:
> I am having problems using automake 1.9.3 and libtool when installing
> libraries similar to those reported in a message to the automake list
> with this same subject line from Bob Friesenhahn about a year ago (cf
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2004-01/msg00146.html).

Yes.  The general issue is not fixed yet.

> I'm appending to lib_LTLIBRARIES in dependency order in my Makefile.am
> which would otherwise result in clean install order.  However, some of
> the libraries are in automake conditionals.  Automake seems to extract
> them from the list and stick them into am__append_X variable(s) which
> coorespond to the set of automake conditionals being used.  These lists
> seem to be in alphabetical order, and I haven't been able to tell what
> determines where the $(am__append_X)s are inserted in the list.  In any
> case, this destroys the careful lib_LTLIBRARIES ordering.
>
> Any advice how I can set things up so that libraries will be installed
> in order?

Yes.  Two possibilities:
- Automake 1.9.6 should have this fixed with the patch from 2005-06-24,
  so updating should help.
- You should be able to declare helper variables to enforce order; that
  is, instead of
     lib_LTLIBRARIES = liba.la
     if condition
     lib_LTLIBRARIES += libb.la
     endif
     lib_LTLIBRARIES += libcee.la
  you could write (untested)
     if condition
     bee_libs = libb.la
     else
     bee_libs =
     endif
     lib_LTLIBRARIES = liba.la $(bee_libs) libcee.la [...]