Re: Timestamp or dependency problem with automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Timestamp or dependency problem with automake
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:04:37 +0100

Hi Steve,

* Steve Kreyer wrote on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 06:08:06PM CET:

> I have some problems compiling my project with make.

> When i call make for 2nd time in topsrcdir, make does compile the
> sources which are located in src from scratch, even if they have not
> modified.  When i call make for 2nd time in topsrcdir/src everything
> went well and make says: "nothing to be done..."
>
> Can anyone figure out what is wrong?

No, I for one don't have a crystal ball. ;-)

> Do you need  additional informations?

Yes.  You need to show us the Makefile.am's involved (and maybe we'll
ask for more files later), or a reduced test case that still exposes
this.  Which make implementation and version?  Which automake version
was used?  Did configure enable dependency tracking?  If yes, which
type?  Which compiler was used?

Maybe you can debug the second `make' call and find out why it thinks
rebuilding is necessary (many make implementations have flags to output
debug information)?