Re: BUILT_SOURCES: dependencies not copied to build_dir

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: BUILT_SOURCES: dependencies not copied to build_dir
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:16:27 +0200

Hi Michael, Tom,

* tom fogal wrote on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:38:27PM CEST:
>  <address@hidden>Michael Biebl writes:
> <snip>
> >ngcs_marshal.c: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
> >        $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
> >
> >ngcs_marshal.h: ngcs_marshal.ngci idef.py
> >        $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
>
> Not sure if it will work, but perhaps you could just use the .ngci file
> without copying it?

Yes, that was my thinking as well.  Copying is a bad idea, if that file
ends up in the distribution tarball some make implementations will
behave "interestingly" and subtly different when both source and build
tree have different versions of this (described in the Autoconf manual).

>  Perhaps rules like:
>
> ngcs_marshal.c: $(srcdir)/ngcs_marshal.ngci $(srcdir)/idef.py
>         $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
>
> ngcs_marshal.h: $(srcdir)/ngcs_marshal.ngci $(srcdir)/idef.py
>         $(srcdir)/idef.py ngcs_marshal
>
> would work?

No, the rules are fine without the `$(srcdir)/', thanks to the VPATH
feature that most make implementations offer.

> Or do the files need to be copied for other reasons as
> well?

I suppose the idef.py program wants to know about their location.
But since we don't know what it does, nor whether it can be told
(maybe by a command line argument) where to look for its input,
Michael has to find this out by himself, or enlighten us.  :-)