Re: makeinfo problem

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: makeinfo problem
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:32:42 +0200

Hello Thomas,

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:05:22AM +0200, Thomas Porschberg wrote:
> Am Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:41:07 +0200
> schrieb Stepan Kasal <address@hidden>:
> >   a quick answer,

actually, my answer was too quick, I made several mistakes:

> [...] you might get a better one from Karl, the maintainer.

I meant ``the maintainer of Texinfo''; that implies that you should
repost the Texinfo questions to texinfo-help to reach him.

> I don't know if the user then need a bleeding edge distribution ?!

It should be enough to upgrade one package; 4.8 was released more
than one year ago.

I missed one important thing: Automake supports ``make html'' which creates
the html documentation from Texinfo sources (at least since Automake 1.9).
See the manual for details.  Perhaps you should use that feature rather
than your hand-crafted rules.

(And, BTW, SUFFIXES = .html is not necessary, Automake can deduce the
suffixes, if they match \.[^.]+ )

But this feature doesn't distribute the HTML files, so you have to
distribute them yourself, if you wan't to support users which don't have
(the rifght version of) makeinfo.

One more detail:

> docdir = $(libdir)

`docdir' is standardized by new GNU COding Standards, and will be supported
by future releases of Autotools, so you should use another variable name
here, to avoid confusion.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan