Fine-grained install control

From: Robert Lowe
Subject: Fine-grained install control
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:10:52 -0500

Hi,

I have a small project that needs to install executables
under /usr/local/<package>/, but the manpages under
/usr/local/man.  If I use AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT in configure.ac
to point to /usr/local/<package>, how can I override it in
a Makefile.am for manpages?  I'd like the default behaviour
not to require command line options to configure.  I'm
thinking there is a right way and a wrong to do this, and
I nothing jumped out at me from the manual.

TIA,
Robert