Re: Common Source code

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: Common Source code
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:14:34 +0100

On 12/05/06, Warren Young <address@hidden> wrote:
Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> I've created liblogger basically as a new project with configure.ac
> and Makefile.am, etc. It builds ok and then I added to Makefile.am of
> both lib1 and lib2:
> lib1_la_LIBADD = ../../liblogger/src/liblogger.la

Actually, what I was suggesting is that you build and _install_ support
libraries like this.  For example, libblogger.* might get installed to
/usr/local/lib, and you'd use your linker's library search features
(-L), instead of hard-coding relative paths like this.  This makes the
most sense when several unrelated programs use the library.

On the other hand, if liblogger is only used with this one program
you're talking about, then using relative paths is the right way to go.
  But instead of giving it a completely separate configuration process,
you should probably just turn it into a convenience library.  See the
"goat book" for more on this:

        http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_74.html

Ah, that's most probably what I need. Thanks a lot!

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at sat inesc-id pt
Web: http://sat.inesc-id.pt/~pocm
Computer and Software Engineering
INESC-ID - SAT Group