Noobie question about doing "src" dirs

From: Douglas Phillipson
Subject: Noobie question about doing "src" dirs
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:54:50 -0700

After going by the tutorial with all my source in one dir, I understood all the required files pretty well. Now I'm trying to do a hello world program where my source files are in "src" off the top level dir. Automake is telling me I'm missing "src/Makefile.in". Now looking at the Makefile.in in the top level dir, it's obviously a generated file. I guess I'm missnig a Makefile.am in my src dir??? What should be in it?

Here is my top level Makefile.am:

SUBDIRS = src

My top level configure.in:

  AC_INIT(src/hello.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,1.1)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile src/Makefile)

What else needs to go in src? and What should it contain?

Do I only need to do aclocal, autoconf, automake -a from the top level dir?

Thanks

Doug P