Re: Suggestion: AC_DEFINE -> m4_pattern_allow

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Suggestion: AC_DEFINE -> m4_pattern_allow
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:07:42 +0200

Hi Akim,

* Akim Demaille wrote on Wed, May 31, 2006 at 04:26:17PM CEST:

> Some time ago I sent this message for which I had no answer.

>  > I suggest that the AC_DEFINE family explicitly allow its $1.

Not true, your request has been dealt with:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2006-05/msg00087.html

I agreed with it back then, although I do have a vague feeling that all
the m4_pattern_allow make for a significant runtime overhead.  That
said, I haven't measured anything, and even if it were expensive, a
usability question may be considered more important than an efficiency
one.

> I suggest that Automake provide the same feature for AM_CONDITIONAL:

But you are not likely to use the first argument of AM_CONDITIONAL
elsewhere in your configure.ac, are you?  (I have probably just
misunderstood this part.)