Re: AM_CFLAGS usage

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS usage
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:11:22 +0200

Hello Norbert, Marc,

> Norbert Sendetzky wrote:
> >
> > This works, but as soon as I move AM_CFLAGS to the Makefile.am in the
> > parent
> > directory, they aren't set any more. Is this the way it was intended and
> > the
> > only way to set them globally is to AC_SUBST them or is there something
> > wrong
> > in my files?

Besides the information Marc already gave you, what's wrong with
globally setting it by AC_SUBSTing?  You can still override it per
Makefile.am.

Note though that
  -Wall -ansi -pedantic

is pretty GCC specific, and will make many other compilers barf
heavily.  So if your package targets portability, it'd be nice
to allow your users to override these flags (preferably by
./configure CFLAGS='...').