Re: AM_CFLAGS usage

From: Norbert Sendetzky
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS usage
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:42:15 +0200

On Monday 12 June 2006 12:53, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>   : ${CFLAGS='-Wall -ansi -pedantic'}
>
> before AC_PROG_CC in configure.ac.  Users with non-GCC compilers won't
> like you because they will have to set CFLAGS to override this, and
> users (with any kind of compiler) won't like you because you take away
> the default (set -g if possible, add -O2 if possible) setting they

OK, not the best option ;-)

> FWIW, I prefer that packages don't override CFLAGS at all.  For specific
> settings, I keep a long-term build tree with a working config.status
> file (and of course a config.cache as well) around.  Or a config.site
> file (if you don't know what this is, read up on it in the Autoconf
> manual).

Ehm, where do I find the documentation to config.site? I couldn't find it in
the automake manual
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html

and in the autobook is only a short notice about this
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_281.html

Google does also not reveal any useful information on the first pages.

Norbert
--
OpenPGP public key
http://www.linuxnetworks.de/norbert.pubkey.asc