RFE or RF Clarification?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: RFE or RF Clarification?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:23:29 -0700

Hi,

The Fedora Core folks asked me to tweak my package so that "make install"
did not install any of the library stuff.  To accommodate their needs,
I was putting installable object names into Makefile variables whose values
varied based on an AM_CONDITIONAL.  viz.:

if INSTALL_AUTOOPTS
INST_MANS                 = autoopts-config.1 $(GENMAN)
INST_M4DATA               = autoopts.m4
INST_ND_PKGDATA           = $(libsrc)
INST_PKGCFG               = autoopts.pc
INST_PKGDATA              = autoopts.m4 $(CLIENT_TPLS)
INST_LIBS                 = libopts.la libguileopts.la
NOINST_LIBS               =
INST_HDRS                 = autoopts/options.h autoopts/usage-txt.h
INST_SCRIPTS              = autoopts-config

else !INSTALL_AUTOOPTS
INST_MANS                 =
INST_M4DATA               =
INST_ND_PKGDATA           =
INST_PKGCFG               =
INST_PKGDATA              =
INST_LIBS                 =
NOINST_LIBS               = libopts.la libguileopts.la
INST_HDRS                 =
INST_SCRIPTS              =
endif !INSTALL_AUTOOPTS

man_MANS                  = $(INST_MANS)
m4data_DATA               = $(INST_M4DATA)
nodist_pkgdata_DATA       = $(INST_ND_PKGDATA)
pkgconfig_SCRIPTS         = $(INST_PKGCFG)
pkgdata_DATA              = $(INST_PKGDATA)
lib_LTLIBRARIES           = $(INST_LIBS)
noinst_LTLIBRARIES        = $(NOINST_LIBS)
nobase_include_HEADERS    = $(INST_HDRS)
bin_SCRIPTS               = $(INST_SCRIPTS)

All was going well until automake hit the "INST_SCRIPTS" thing.
It would seem to me that the automake reserved varied names are mostly
in the name space someobjectname_STANDARDIZEDNAME, i.e. match
the regex   [a-z][a-z0-9_]+_[A-Z][A-Z0-9_]+
Since automake parses all these names, it would seem reasonable
some small effort should be made and documented toward having a
well-defined name space separation between names that are meaningful
to automake and names I can use without worrying about conflict.
e.g. [A-Z][A-Z0-9_]* are mine, with the exception of the grandfathered
"well known" names.   "INST_SCRIPTS" would fall in that class.
Obviously, I've already renamed that thing, but it would be nice
to not have to worry about which suffixes are currently and may later
become meaningful.  Thanks :)  - Bruce