Re: running tests with automake on windows with mingw...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: running tests with automake on windows with mingw...
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:40:40 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

>> When I call the shell script, it works great. But when I run "make
>> check" it doesn't call the shell script. It calls the .exe file, and
>> that fails:
>
> I see that you failed to identify the versions of autoconf, automake,
> and libtool you are using.  Often it makes a difference, particularly
> when libtool is involved.  Anyone reporting a problem with autotools
> should also report which versions are involved.

Of course, here they are:

address@hidden ~/netcdf-3
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

address@hidden ~/netcdf-3
$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6

address@hidden ~/netcdf-3
$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool 1.2304 2006/05/24 11:54:59) 2.1a

> The commands executed by the 'check' target in Makefile.am are
> entirely up to you.  Probably you have added something
> (e.g. "$(EXEEXT)") which adds this .exe extension to the command name.
>
> For example you can have
>
> check:
>       ./foo bar
>
> and your ./foo will never be converted to "./foo.exe".

I have no check target per se, just the automake primary. I have:

# Test the netCDF-3 library.
check_PROGRAMS = t_nc
TESTS = ${check_PROGRAMS}

This yields in the Makefile:

check_PROGRAMS = t_nc$(EXEEXT)

I see also in the automake manual here that this is something automake
does automatically:

http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#EXEEXT

However it looks like this should not happen on mingw builds, because
apparently some tool is constructing the shell script wrappers which
make the EXEEXT unneeded.

Thanks,

Ed

--