Re: depcomp on system headers

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: depcomp on system headers
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 23:23:12 +0200

Hello David,

* David Everly wrote on Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 09:54:52PM CEST:
> The automake documentation...
[...]
> ...indicates:
>
> "Automake always uses complete dependencies for a compilation,
> including system headers."

Yes.  That may be debatable to some point, but this:

> However, a closed-source vendor gives us header files that contain:
>
> #include <numbrw.cc>

should not be one of it.

> This means that after I finish compiling, when I run make a second
> time it tries to compile
> /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc, and of course, gets an error.

I don't see how that could happen.  After the first compilation of a
file, say foo.cc, the file .deps/foo.Po should have a dependency

| foo.o: foo.c \
|  # lots more files... \
|  /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc

but also a line
| /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc:

and no line stating a dependency on numbrw.o, which is what could cause
'make' to try to compile that "header" file.  I just tried that with
$ aCC -V
aCC: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.06.10 [Mar 22 2006]

and a STL header file, where <algorithm> #includes a file algorithm.cc.

Please show how your error can be reproduced (you can make paths below
$HOME to "system" paths by adding appropriate -I flags), show the error,
and the contents of the respective .deps/ file.