Re: Multilib support

From: Tzu-Chien Chiu
Subject: Re: Multilib support
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:18:32 +0800

Hello, Ralf.

I found gcc and newlib don't use AM_ENABLE_MULTILIB, instead
TARGET_SUBDIR is set.

ChangeLog (gcc 3.4.4):

Thu Jun 19 14:16:42 1997  Brendan Kehoe  <address@hidden>

       * configure.in: Don't set ENABLE_MULTILIB, so we'll be passing
       --enable-multilib down to subdirs; setting TARGET_SUBDIR was enough.

I think neither how gcc nor newlib does things is not what I'm looking
for. I need to build *both* the native and the cross-compiled library
at the same time (one-time configure script and make), rather than
*either one* of them.

2006/8/8, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:
Hello Tzu-Chien,

* Tzu-Chien Chiu wrote on Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 11:37:41AM CEST:

> I need to build a native library and a cross-compiled libarary from
> the same set of source files, but I don't find any method to specify
> per-target compiler.

> I read the manual and guessed that AM_ENABLE_MULTILIB might be what
> I'm looking for. But there isn't much information in the manual on how
> the corresponding Makefile should be. Neither on Internet nor the
> mailing list archive, surprisingly.

Yep, that's what I'd expect, unfortunately.  I guess a good bet is to
look at how GCC does things; but there again I expect you need the
source to grasp things.

Put another way: once you've gained knowledge, it'd be great to
contribute that in form of additional documentation and/or code. :-)

Tzu-Chien Chiu - SMedia Technology Corp.