Re: libtool : No rule to make target with LDADD

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool : No rule to make target with LDADD
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:53:20 +0200

Hello Sylvestre,

Sorry for the delay.

* Sylvestre Ledru wrote on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:33:24PM CEST:

> I am designing the compilation system of Scilab using the autotools.
> It was using a system of included Makefile to perform the compile. I
> migrated everything using auto* & libtools.
>
> I build all the libs without problems.
>
> Now, I am stucking with the linkage of the binary with the built libs.

> In my root Makefile.am I have :
> bin_PROGRAMS          = scilex
>
> scilex_SOURCES                = \
>       routines/default/mainsci.f \
>       routines/default/FTables.c \
> [...]
>
> scilex_LDADD =        $(top_builddir)/routines/libscilab.la

Make that
  scilex_LDADD = routines/libscilab.la

and make sure that it gets built before the program.  If
routines/libscilab.la is built from the same Makefile.am, that should
happen automatically, given that you do _not_ have set
scilex_DEPENDENCIES.  (If you have, you have to add the library in there
manually.)

If the library is built from a different Makefile.am, make sure to have
the proper build order so that it is built before the toplevel; see
  info Automake Subdirectories

> After an autoreconf, configure and make, it stops with the error :
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `routines/libscilab.la ', needed by
> `scilex'.  Stop.

The space in `routines/libscilab.la '
                                   ^

looks fishy to me.  Is that a cut'n'paste error?

> I have the same issue with scilex_LDADD = routines/libscilab.la
> (but I have better result with CFLAGS = -lscilab but I prefer not using
> this solution).

No, you should not use -lscilab.

Maybe if you still can't get things going, post an URL where we can see
the files, or a small example package that exposes the problem.

> Otherwise, an other question, I would like to know if libtool is able to
> compile "everything" using the libtool _DEPENDENCIES ?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this question.  Maybe reading
  info Automake 'Program and Library Variables'

helps?