Re: distdir unset in subdir Makefiles?

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: distdir unset in subdir Makefiles?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:05:33 -0400 (EDT)

> >  DF>       In one instance, I wished to manually inspect the result of one
> > of
> >  DF> the subdirectories' "make distdir", but had to pass in these two
> > variables
> >  DF> by hand, slightly inconvenient.  Is there a rationale for omitting
> > these
> >  DF> two variables in subdir's Makefile.in's?
>
> The suggestion is that one might occassionally need to do `make distdir'
> in a subdirectory of a project.  (No subpackages are involved.)
>
> My answer was that the advantage of shortening each makefile by two
> lines is bigger than the discomfort reported, because the need for
> non-top `make distdir' is very rare.
> (But I was not sure whether this is the right answer, so I decided to
> wait for a better answer from someone else.)

Hi,
        Well, in any case, it's not too difficult for me to add my own
target, say 'distdir-subdir' and pass the
$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION)[/$(subdir)] paths in that way, calling make
recursively.  I have a global Makefile.include that is include-inlined
into every Makefile.in by automake for various useful variable definitions
and phony targets.

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)