Re: -pthread in Linux and CygWin

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: -pthread in Linux and CygWin
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:47:45 +0200

Hello Steven,

* steven woody wrote on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:42:28AM CEST:
> i have a project which need to be build both on linux and cygwin.  i
> have to set the LDFLAGS = -pthread in linux but it leads an error in
> cygwin.  can automake help me?  i inserted the LDFLAGS line in
> Makefile.am.

Well.  What are the requirements for your package?  Does it need POSIX
threads?  Does it need some kind of thread support, and copes with the
different kinds that exist?

For the simplest part, throw out the LDFLAGS setting in Makefile.am (if
anything you should be setting AM_LDFLAGS; LDFLAGS is reserved for the
user).  Then have the user on GNU/Linux do
  ./configure LDFLAGS=-pthread

and on Cygwin
  ./configure

Depending on what your project copes with, you may want to take a look
at the ACX_PTHREAD macro in the Autoconf Macro Archive:
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/acx_pthread.html

Hope that helps.