Re: Forcing static link of libstdc++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Forcing static link of libstdc++
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:59:43 +0200

* Mike Melanson wrote on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:49:47PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >So grab an old distro and build there, so that you link against
> >libstdc++.so.5.

> A coworker suggested this same route this morning and we are planning to
> try it (we already have the older machines available; that's how we
> found the problem in the first place). We'll see if v6 is backwards
> compatible with v5.

I don't think it is (and I didn't mean to imply that).  What I meant
was: even modern systems usually have a libstdc++.so.5.

> >A completely static link is another option
[...]
> We recently experimented with this idea (but building the compiler
> without shared components). So we have a shared library plugin comprised
> mostly of PIC code but with a few non-PIC components. It works unless
> you have certain configuration options enabled, such as the secure
> SELinux stuff.

A shared library containing non-PIC code will _not_ work on most
systems.  For example, on x86_64, on ia64, and of course not on several
non-GNU/Linux operating systems.  And the memory/speed tradeoff of
having text relocations is not clear (it may be worse for both).
Generally, I'd consider it ugly.