Re: Multilib support

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Multilib support
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:42:39 +0200

Hello,

  Ralf Corsepius has answered the question about AM_ENABLE_MULTILIB,
and then, on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:52:25AM +0200, he wrote:

> > I need to build *both* the native and the cross-compiled library
> > at the same time (one-time configure script and make), rather than
> > *either one* of them.
> This is a completely different problem and not related to multilibs at
> all.  [...]
> What you are looking for is simultaneously building for the build system
> (native) and for the host (cross). Only very few packages support this.
> autoconf/automake doesn't support it by themselves.

my previous answer targeted this second problem (as I do not have
any experience with multilib).

I'm guess the basic tools packages, like binutils and gcc, have to
support a ``bootstrap'' which involves this.  But these packages are
too complex.

That's why I suggested to study texinfo/configure.ac (from version
4.8 or newer), which does build a couple of native tools, which are
then needed for the main cross-platform build.

Texinfo is a smaller package, and thus should serve as a more
comprehensive example.  Feel free to ask me about the details of it.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal