Re: Cross-compiling support (was: Multilib support)

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling support (was: Multilib support)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:15:39 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 10:54:20PM +0800, Tzu-Chien Chiu wrote:
> 2006/9/22, Stepan Kasal <address@hidden>:
> >But this does not mean tha BUILD_CC has to be set!
> >If BUILD_CC is empty, this just makes CC empty.  AC_PROG_CC then does
> >its work.  (The variable CC overrides the test only if it is nonempty.)
>
> 1. I understand, but under which circumstances native configure/build will
> go wrong if BUILD_CC is not empty?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Generally you should not set
BUILD_CC.

But Autoconf enables you to set CC manually, in case you want to
override the autodetection.  Similarily, if you need to override the
autodetection in the sub-configure, you can set BUILD_CC.
As I said, you usually do not need to override it.

> 2. Texinfo's way works for me, but just for curious if there are other
> (tricky) approaches for mulit-host builds? For example projects, please?

I think others mentioned some examples in this thread.  (binutils,
gcc, ...)  Some of these projects might be confusing because they may
not use the latest versions of autotools.

Stepan