Re: How do I get configuration files installed?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How do I get configuration files installed?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:52:52 +0200

Hello Jim,

* Jim Lynch wrote on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 02:46:04PM CEST:
> I'm trying to figure out how to add a file to be installed in
> $prefix/bin/lib.

Why in the world would you want that?  (Honest question!)

Wouldn't it be enough if you used $(libdir), and told your users
that if they want to shoot themselves mildly in the foot, they could
still use
  ./configure --bindir=/some/where/bin --libdir=/some/where/bin/lib
?

I mean, this convention goes against all I've ever seen on a *nix
system.  If instead you are out to get things working on w32 systems,
then be encouraged to use Libtool, read about -no-undefined, and don't
mess with libdir at all.

Slightly confused,