Testing python extension modules during 'make distcheck' / 'make check'

From: Mark Asbach
Subject: Testing python extension modules during 'make distcheck' / 'make check'
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:31:41 +0100

Hi automake developers,

I'm one of the maintainers of an open source image processing toolkit (OpenCV) and responsible for parts of the autotools setup. The package mainly consists of four shared libraries but is accompanied by a python package containing some pure python code and of course extension modules for the four libraries.

Now during the last month we were preparing a major release which means testing, fixing, testing, fixing, ... in the first degree. Typical functionality of the shared libraries is verified during 'make check' and 'make distcheck' by binaries that are linked against the libraries (straight forward) and are listed in the 'TESTS' automake primary.

Unfortunately, many problems with the python wrappers were overseen from time to time. Currently we have to build and install before we can run any python-based test routines. When trying to integrate python module testing into the automake setup, there are some problems that I couldn't find a solution for:

a) the extension modules are built in different (other) subdirectories - so they are not in the local path where python could find them

b) the libraries and extension modules are built with libtool and may have rpaths compiled in (is this problematic)?

c) a different version of our wrappers might be installed on the testing machine, somewhere in python/site-packages. How can I make sure that python only finds my 'new' local generated modules?

I know that I could use the install-check target to just start my python tests post installation of the libraries and the python module. The question is, will install-check be invoked during 'make distcheck' automatically? I couldn't find any information on how to do that ... Also I would have to tell python and the operating system where to find python modules and shared libraries (again) ... My goal is to have everything checked during distcheck to really make sure I don't hand out broken tarballs.

Did someone solve a similar problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

P.S.: I'll post a similar message to the python mailing list, but last time I asked an autotools/python related questions, there were not many answers ...

--
  Dipl.-Ing. Mark Asbach                      Tel +49 (0)241 80-27677
  Institute of Communications Engineering     Fax +49 (0)241 80-22196