Re: build and distribute Linux drivers as part of a GNU automake project

From: Vladimir Vassilev
Subject: Re: build and distribute Linux drivers as part of a GNU automake project
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:35:50 +0200

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the input. Do you think that if the application startup scripts take the whole responsibility of insmod-ing the drivers it would be possible to use a different place than /lib/modules/<version-of-kernel>/extra ? Then I hope doing a proper depmod would not be necessary. I guess the user has to provide the kernel sources/configuration path (Example: ./configure --linux-kernel-path=/usr/src/linux) so it is passed to the linux module build invocation.

Example:
mymodulesdir = $(libdir)/PACKAGE_NAME/VERSION_OF_KERNEL/

then this allows to build and install support for more than 1 kernel configuration if the '--linux-kernel-path=' option accepts comma separated list of kernels to build against.

Seems this is a solution for this case. I guess the application will have to look for a module matching the running kernel at runtime.

Do you think what I am saying makes sense or do you see some complications. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vladimir