RE: adding libraries and header file directories

From: Jim Rainville
Subject: RE: adding libraries and header file directories
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:46:12 +0100

Mick -

This was very helpful. It got me off the ground and now I think I'm
about 90% there. What I'm struggling with now is circular dependencies
in libraries. In the old Makefile for this software they dealt with this
in this fashion:
-Wl,--start-group <libs> -Wl,--end-group

With autoconf/automake this won't work because you're supposed to add
linker flags with the _LDFLAGS macro and when you do that it's not
positional. In other words you can't put the start group before the libs
and the end group after. So I started being creative (i.e. hacking ;)
and tried adding this:

vlc_LDADD += -Wl,--start-group <libs> -Wl,--end-group

That failed when I tried to do the bootstrap because automake didn't
like the linker flags in the _LDADD macro. So then I thought I would be
really smart and fool it. So I defined START_GROUP and END_GROUP in my
configure.ac files and did an AC_SUBST on both. Then in my Makefile.am
file I did this:

vlc_LDADD += @START_GROUP@ <libs> @END_GROUP@

But these tools are much smarter then me, the bootsrap and configure
work fine but when I build I see all the compiler flags listed out
including --start-group and --end-group then my libraries listed after
them and I still get a link error because of the circular dependencies
in the libraries.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much - you have been a huge help getting me up to speed.

Dinosaur Jim