Re: Using automake in conjunction with kbuild Makefile

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Using automake in conjunction with kbuild Makefile
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:07:24 +0100

Hello Steve,
  I do not have any experience with kbuilt, but I'll try to generate
some hins anyway:

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:48:29AM +0100, Steve Kreyer wrote:
> DEFAULT_INCLUDES = address@hidden@

two nits about this line: No need to use @..@, use $(abs_top_srcdir)
instead.
Why do you re-define DEFAULT_INCLUDES?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use AM_CPPFLAGS?
(But maybe I'm missing something.)

> example a make distcheck will fail because the module sources
> will not be copied into the build environment of the distcheck...

Thank you for the description of the situation, but I think your
description of the actual problem could be more exact.

`make distcheck' is just an automated way to check for features which
should every package support.  The feature you are speaking about is
so called ``vpath build'', when srcdir != builddir.

So you can do the same manually:
        make dist-bzip2
        mkdir _check
        (cd _check ; tar xjf ../*.bz2)
        #chmod -R -w _check
        mkdir _build; cd _build
        ../_check/configure
        make

Does this work?  Does it work if you add the chmod command in the
middle, to make the source tree read-only?

If not, what is the error message?  Fix it or post it to this list to
get some help.

Or perhaps you are not willing to support vpath builds.  (Does kbuild
usually support them?)  If that is the case, you do not want to use
`make distcheck', at least not the complete version brought to you by
automake.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan