Re: "Sublibraries" without libtool

From: Yevgen Muntyan
Subject: Re: "Sublibraries" without libtool
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:13:55 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Yevgen,

* Yevgen Muntyan wrote on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:32:11PM CET:
I am trying to figure out how to avoid using libtool when I don't need a
shared library. [...]

subdir1/
 libsubdir1.la
 subsubdir1/
   libsubsubdir1.la
 subsubdir2/
   libsubsubdir2.la

Try using a nonrecursive makefile setup, so you don't need the
intermediate convenience archives.
Well, I didn't mention it, but non-recursive make is one of things
I am trying to do here. Its speed indeed is just awesome, but it also
leads to huge mess: things like
foo_SOURCES += subdir/subdir/subdir/foo.c subdir/subdir/subdir/bar.c;
messy generated files stuff - to keep things nice I need to make
sure subdirectories are created, which leads to creating some funny
stamp files and failing distcheck; compilation flags are hard to
specify on per-directory basis; 'make dist' gets crazy and fails
if you are not careful enough to not list things twice (this is really funny
one - investigating why one file is put into dist four times can be pretty
amusing); and so on.

For now, I'd be happy to just avoid using libtool.

Best regards,
Yevgen