Re: "Sublibraries" without libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: "Sublibraries" without libtool
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:42:44 +0100

* Yevgen Muntyan wrote on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:13:55PM CET:

> Well, I didn't mention it, but non-recursive make is one of things
> I am trying to do here. Its speed indeed is just awesome, but it also
> leads to huge mess: things like
> foo_SOURCES += subdir/subdir/subdir/foo.c subdir/subdir/subdir/bar.c;
> messy generated files stuff - to keep things nice I need to make
> sure subdirectories are created, which leads to creating some funny
> stamp files and failing distcheck;

This is too thin for either a bug report or to point out decent help.
A pointer to the source or an example package is better.

> compilation flags are hard to specify on per-directory basis;

Yes, that's true; one would have to revert to per-target flags.

> 'make dist' gets crazy and fails if you are not careful enough to not
> list things twice (this is really funny one - investigating why one
> file is put into dist four times can be pretty amusing); and so on.

See above.

You do know about AC_DISABLE_SHARED by the way, just in case you didn't
know about saving that factor of 2 (with Libtool, I mean)?