Re: Problem with building .info files?

From: Daniel Franke
Subject: Re: Problem with building .info files?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:24:58 +0100

I found this discussion while looking for a place to report a bug ...

Ralf wrote:
> Quoting Automake 1.8 NEWS:
> |  - Update .info files in the source tree, not in the build tree.  This
> |    is what the GNU Coding Standard recommend.  Only Automake 1.7.x
> |    used to update these files in the build tree (previous versions did
> |    it in the source tree too), and it caused several problems, varying
> |    from mere annoyance to portability issues.

Interestingly, the according dvi, pdf and html targets are built in
$(builddir):

-- Makefile.am --
TEXINFO_TEX   = ../gcc/doc/include/texinfo.tex
MAKEINFOFLAGS = -I $(srcdir)/../gcc/doc -I $(srcdir)/../gcc/doc/include
info_TEXINFOS = libgomp.texi

-- Makefile.in --
$(srcdir)/libgomp.info: libgomp.texi
libgomp.dvi: libgomp.texi
libgomp.pdf: libgomp.texi
libgomp.html: libgomp.texi

Which results in libgomp.{dvi,pdf,html} in $(builddir) and libgomp.info in
$(srcdir). At the very least, this behaviour is inconsistent.

Any other suggestions to work around this, than (re-)writing the Makefile
rules myself?

Thanks
        Daniel