Re: Circular dependency

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: Re: Circular dependency
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:39:37 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * Stepan Kasal wrote on Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:56:20PM CET:
>> * Makefile.in <-- .depend
>> This is because automake creates Makefile.in from Makefile.am and all
>> included files.  Your Makefile.am includes .depend.
>
> To rephrase this more to the point:
> automake style 'include' is different than 'make' time 'include'.
> The automake one happens at the time 'automake' is run, the included
> file is literally put into Makefile.in.
>
> If you are aiming at adding support for ocaml into the Automake package,
> then you should use 'make' time 'include'.  The stuff that in the
> Makefile.in file looks like this:
>   @AMDEP_TRUE@@am__include@ @address@hidden(DEPDIR)/address@hidden@
I understood that automake include feature was different from make
include directive.

But I still didn't understood how to force generation at dependencies
using a specific depcomp mode at configure time. I sent a mail regarding
this issue to the list, I didn't received any answer sofar.

I'm suspecting email issues, however, as I don't saw your reply on the
list (I only received the direct reply), and I didn't saw Stepan's
answer neither. I tried to check ML archive at
http://sourceware.org/ml/automake/2006-11/, howerver, it seems to be
broken also.