Re: Unsetting -g -O2

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Unsetting -g -O2
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:29:07 +0100

Hello Alexander,

* Alexander Toresson wrote on Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 12:02:01AM CET:

> This leads me to believe that automake adds -g -O2 to AM_CXXFLAGS.

No.  Autoconf puts code in configure that may add '-g -O2' to $CXXFLAGS
(if the compiler accepts it).  The configure.ac script of the package
you are compiling may add the contents of $CXXFLAGS to $AM_CXXFLAGS
(and AC_SUBST(AM_CPPFLAGS) to transport that to the Makefiles).

> However, if I'd be to modify that one, I'd need to resupply all those
> flags the libraries need (and which are currently taken from
> pkg-config). Is there any more elegant and handy way of doing it?

With a package that doesn't do the above (or something similar),
  make CXXFLAGS=-g

should work (for GNU make; portable make may need
  CXXFLAGS=-g make -e

instead).

Hope that helps.