Re: "dynamic" makefile

From: Sylvestre Ledru
Subject: Re: "dynamic" makefile
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:02:21 +0100

Le jeudi 30 novembre 2006 à 13:13 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues a écrit :
> Hello Sylvestre,
>
> * Sylvestre Ledru wrote on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:23:42AM CET:
> >
> > I am trying to create a dynamic compilation system. In theoric, it is
> > not difficult but I don't know if it is possible to do it.
> [...]
> > I know I could do that with a standard makefile but I prefer to use
> > autotool as much as possible.
>
> Since I don't quite understand what you mean by "dynamic compilation
> system", how about if you post an example with a standard makefile,
> and explain which characteristic you want to keep while moving over
> to an automake- (or just autoconf-)generated makefile.

I would like to generate a Makefile which will work with source files
provided in the command line (parameters) instead of providing them into
the Makefile.am.

Basically, I have this line generated in a Makefile converted with
automake with libtool :
liblocalization_la-hashtable_localization.lo:
src/hashtable_localization.c
        $(LIBTOOL) --tag=CC $(AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS) $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) --mode=compile
$(CC) $(DEFS) $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS)
$(liblocalization_la_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -MT
liblocalization_la-hashtable_localization.lo -MD -MP -MF
$(DEPDIR)/liblocalization_la-hashtable_localization.Tpo -c -o
liblocalization_la-hashtable_localization.lo `test -f
'src/hashtable_localization.c' || echo
'$(srcdir)/'`src/hashtable_localization.c

I would like to be able to produce this kind of line from a Makefile.am
but instead of providing "src/hashtable_localization.c", it will use
parameters provided by the user. (ie $1)

I want to do this because I want to provide to the user of my
application the possibility to edit C/fortran files, compile, link and
load them from the application without touching configure.* or Makefile*

thx for your time,
Sylvestre