Re: passing -R to libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: passing -R to libtool
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:36:00 +0200

Hello Dave,

* deckrider wrote on Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 01:47:45AM CEST:

>  Given that I don't know where a user has installed prerequisite
>  libraries, I assume the user can pass their location using LDFLAGS.
>  For instance:
>
>  ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/my/path/to/the/lib"
>
>  However, for each of these -L in LDFLAGS, I think I would like to have
>  a corresponding -R sent to libtool.

If the installed libraries have libtool library files (those ending in
.la), then there is no need for -R.

Otherwise, passing -R in LDFLAGS for configure could screw some tests:
-R is not understood everywhere (except if you use libtool), and
configure tests do not use libtool usually.

> What is the best practice for this? Does the user decide to give -R,
> and if so, what variable, and should I use AC_ARG_VAR() for it?

I wouldn't want the user to use -R.  If the libs are libtool libs, you
should be fine all along.  Using installed libraries, with or without
libtool, the gnulib module havelib comes in handy.

Hope that helps.