Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:30:12 +0000

I really dislike this proposal as it stands.

While I'm fine with a position that says "for normal users, don't have
Makefile.in depend on Makefile.am", I *want* that rule as a package
developer and even as a release engineer.

I already have way too much stuff I have to remember to do, and adding
an extra step to make sure that generated files are up-to-date is just
asking for more work and problems.

Put another way, if somebody want to have sufficient mechanism to allow
these behaviors as choices, and if somebody wants to have a way to
specify that strict GNU coding policy can be used that's fine with me.
Just be sure to make it trivial enough that I can override that policy
choice locally so I can work more efficiently.