Re: Newbie question - "make dist" with conditional data

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Newbie question - "make dist" with conditional data
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:47:40 +0200

Hello David,

* David Bruce wrote on Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 03:08:14PM CEST:

> I have a project that uses automake and autotools and has a functioning "make
> dist target" using EXTRA_DIST to put in all the files that aren't
> automagically included.  "make dist" currently bundles in three fonts that
> are used by the program.  I want to change this so that "make dist" does not
> include the font files, but have another target (perhaps "make
> dist_with_fonts") that does include them.  Is there a good way to do this in
> my Makefile.am's?

  EXTRA_DIST += $(dist_fonts)

  dist_with_fonts:
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) dist dist_fonts='font1 font2 font3'

Please ensure that you do not otherwise initialize the dist_fonts
macro in the Makefile, because then the override on the command line
won't work with all make implementations any more (with GNU make, it
will still work).