Re: Problem generating correct Makefile

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problem generating correct Makefile
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 04:38:58 +0200

Hello Niklas,

* Niklas Schnelle wrote on Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 08:44:00PM CEST:
> I've got Autotools to create a configure file and a Makefile but the
> problem is that the Makefile doesn't work because there is a \ inserted
> which makes the line which should compile the sources to object files
> useless.
> e.g.
>
> Code:
> .cpp.o:
> #   if $(CXXCOMPILE) -MT $@ -MD -MP -MF "$(DEPDIR)/$*.Tpo" -c -o $@ $<; \
> #   then mv -f "$(DEPDIR)/$*.Tpo" "$(DEPDIR)/$*.Po"; else rm -f
> "$(DEPDIR)/$*.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
>    source='$<' object='$@' libtool=no \
>    DEPDIR=$(DEPDIR) $(CXXDEPMODE) $(depcomp) \
>    $(CXXCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $<

Both the commented-out bits and the line continuations in this Makefile
snippet are very much intended and useful.  Maybe it's better if you
just describe what happens when you do what you do, post complete 'make'
output, and what you instead expect to happen.

> The thing is I don't know what causes this behavior the complete test
> project I use is downloadable here:
> http://niklas.sceneproject.org/infor...k-test2.tar.gz

This URL does not work.  I assume you meant:
<http://niklas.sceneproject.org/informatik/gtk-test2.tar.gz>

This package suffers from a very simple problem: the scripts
  depcomp install-sh missing

are empty.  Please remove them, run
  automake --add-missing

to have correct versions added, and rerun make.  Then everything will
work as expected.  And please build tarballs with 'make dist', so you do
not put in generated files not needed by the user (like autom4te.cache).

Hope that helps.