including files in the distribution tarball

From: James Willenbring
Subject: including files in the distribution tarball
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:39:04 -0500

Hello,

We add a large number of files to our distribution tarball through
EXTRA_DIST.  I know that directories can be listed in EXTRA_DIST, but this
can be sloppy and even cause problems.  Even if we use a dist-hook to clean
things up, we really would prefer not to go that route in case new files are
added that shouldn't be distributed.

Some of our developers find it especially painful to list individual files.
Is there any way that we can add all files with a certain suffix to the list
of files that are included in our distribution by default, or even include
files that match some pattern?  The specific issue we are looking at right
now is how we can add a large number of documentation files to the tarball
without listing each file.

Thanks in advance!

Jim