Re: source code in several directories

From: jmcferreira
Subject: Re: source code in several directories
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:45:11 +0100 (WEST)

> On 9/11/07, address@hidden
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> actually I want all the headers to get installed too.... my project is a
>> lib that will be used for other people to develop other programs... so
>> they need the headers when they install the lib.....
>>
>> - should I use install_HEADERS in the include/Makefile.am  ??
>
> Almost.  Because you probably want your headers installed in
> $(includedir) (something like /usr/local/include) or even
> $(pkgincludedir) (/usr/local/include/libferreira), you'd use
> include_HEADERS or pkginclude_HEADERS, respectively.

Yes. That's right. thx.

well... this is how I did it:

1 - initially I tried to put only this: include_HEADERS = foo.h bar.h in
include/Makefile.am.... I thought it would work but it did not... when I
ran make it compiled everything ok in the src dir but complained about
'nothing to do for all-am' in the include dir. This is probably because
automake did not generate Makefile.in, and configure did not generate a
Makefile.... any ideas if this is the correct approach ??? and why a
Makefile was not generated at all in the include dir ????

2 - I tried putting include_HEADERS = $(srcdir)/../include/foo.h, remove
the include declaration dir from the top-level Makefile.am .... and it
worked just fine....

I was expecting there would be a way to declare include_HEADERS right in
the include/Makefile.am ??? that way I wouldn't have to declare the
relative paths to the HEADERS in the src/Makefile.am ??? any comments....

thanks a lot
Joao