Re: Newbie question - "make dist" with conditional data

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: Newbie question - "make dist" with conditional data
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:27:34 -0400

Hi Bernd et al,

Thanks, but it didn't quite work.  However, I tried something slightly
different that does seem to work.

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 08:26:59 am you wrote:
> dist_with_fonts:
>   $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) dist_fonts='....' PACKAGE_TARNAME=tuxtype-f dist

Here is the target cut and pasted from my Makefile.am (it is all on one line
but here appears wrapped in my mail program):

dist_with_fonts:
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) dist_fonts='AndikaDesRevG.ttf DoulosSILR.ttf
Rachana_w01.ttf' PACKAGE_TARNAME=tuxtype-f dist

But it still comes out as "tuxtype-1.5.15.tar.gz".  Looking through the
Makefile, it appears that the tarball gets named after distdir, not
PACKAGE_TARNAME.  So I tried setting distdir to $(PACKAGE)_f-$(VERSION), as
below, and it works:

(again, this is all on one line in the actual Makefile.am)
dist_with_fonts:
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) distdir=$(PACKAGE)_f-$(VERSION)
dist_fonts='AndikaDesRevG.ttf DoulosSILR.ttf Rachana_w01.ttf' dist

The target now generates the file tuxtype_f-1.5.15.tar.gz

So, now it seems to work exactly as I intended, but is this the right way to
do it?  Is it "OK" to reset variables such as distdir in this way?

Anyway, thanks - I'm learning!

--
David Bruce