Re: distcheck does not set exec_prefix - bug? distcheck fails for packag

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: distcheck does not set exec_prefix - bug? distcheck fails for packages using e.g. pkglibdir
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:56:08 +0200

Hello Daniel,

* Daniel Leidert wrote on Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 03:02:33AM CEST:

> Hm. After removing the small snippet from configure.ac setting
> exec_prefix to "/usr/local" if its value is "NONE" (IIRC I added it,
> because it was necessary to fix its value), everything works and
> exec_prefix is set to ${prefix}. I still wonder, if exec_prefix should
> be set in the configure-call of the distcheck target to
> workaround/prevent issues like mine.

I'd rather fix the issue that required you to set exec_prefix from NONE
to /usr/local in the first place.  If distcheck would need to set
exec_prefix, then I don't see why it would not also have to set
bindir, libdir, datarootdir, sharedstatedir, docdir, and so on.
But the system was designed to allow users to install everything below
their home with `--prefix=$HOME/...'.