Re: Makefile.am assistance

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Makefile.am assistance
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:12:15 +0200

* NightStrike wrote on Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:25:08PM CEST:

> crt_SCRIPTS = libcrtdll.a libmsvcrt.a libmsvcr80.a
> libcrtdll.a libmsvcrt.a libmsvcr80.a:
>         base=`echo $@ | sed -e 's/\.a//' -e 's/^lib//'`; \
>         $(DLLTOOL) $(DLLOPTS) --dllname $${base}.dll --def
> $(top_srcdir)/$${base}.def
>
> To generate those three libraries, I do nothing other than run
> dlltool, passing in the appropriate .def file.

Let's deal with one library only.  For the moment, leave Automake out of
the picture, this is a mere issue of how to write 'make' rules.

Am I right in that the input files to dlltool in this case are
foo.dll and foo.def, and the output is the import library libfoo.a?

Then write
  libfoo.a: foo.dll foo.def
        rule...

for each library.  If you can require GNU make (which I guess you can),
then you can write one pattern rule
  lib%.a: %.dll %.def
        rule...

> Do you know how to achieve the above effect with using the _LIBRARIES
> primary instead of overriding the use of _SCRIPTS?

Well, I could tell you that Libtool can create DLLs plus import
libraries (it names them libfoo.dll.a), but I don't think you want
to hear that at this point.  ;-)