Re: Generating 'cat' pages on make install

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Generating 'cat' pages on make install
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 15:06:17 +0100

On Nov 4, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Jason Curl wrote:

So let's assume I've got a command on my build environment

groff -Tascii -mandoc myman.3 | col -b > mycat.3

I might even extend this to generate HTML instead of ASCII.

Later I'd be implementing a Perl script to convert what is in code comments to something else to then generate the man pages. These man pages document an API.
[...]
Well, may be I'll rephrase the question: Given a list of man pages in my Makefile.am, how can I write or extend automake (hopefully easily) to use that list that is already defined to run a command and copy it somewhere on make install, using the example I've provided?

I'd like to keep it in Automake if possible rather than having preconfigure, postconfigure scripts.

Hi Jason,
there are plenty of scripts to convert man pages to HTML (google:// man2html) you don't need to write yours ;)
what I'd do in such a situation is:

--Makefile.am--------------------------------------------------------
man3_MANS = myman.3 foo.3
man1_MANS = otherman.1
html_DATA = $(man3_MANS:.3=.html) $(man1_MANS:.1=.html)

.1.html:
        $(MAN2HTML) $^ -o $@
.3.html:
        $(MAN2HTML) $^ -o $@

You don't need to change Automake or whatever. It's pretty simple and self-contained.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory